We have moved to a new address at 50 St. Joseph Street, at the north-west corner of Bay and St. Joseph Streets. When the Department was centralized in 1975, it was given "temporary" space at 7 King's College Circle, space that always felt somewhat cramped.
Our location is now, in effect, on the St. Michael's College campus. Quite appropriately, this historic building, Clover Hill, brings us to a site rooted in the French past of Toronto. In 1852, Armand,
comte de Charbonnel, the Catholic Bishop of Toronto, invited the Basilian order of priests to come from France and set up a seminary-college. After a few temporary locations, they acquired a site at Clover Hill and modelled the buildings on the minor seminaries of France and constructed them in the French Gothic style.
In 1996, through a joint project of the Faculty of Arts and Science and St.Michael's College, the interior of Clover Hill was completely gutted and beautifully renovated. The Department of French occupies the second floor where its central administrative offices are now located.
We are absolutely delighted with our new surroundings and welcome you to visit us at any time.